Thursday, May 21, 2009

Stem Cell Treatment Enabling Multiple Sclerosis Patients

Arnold and James are illustrative examples of how stem cell treatment using Adult Stem Cells are improving lives right now. Arnold and James were the first two Multiple Sclerosis patients to receive stem cell treatment with their own cells derived from their fat.

Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune condition in which the immune system attacks the Central Nervous system, leading to demyelination.
James wrote: “I have had two stem cell treatments. Stem cells improved my quality of life and the follow up MRI looks excellent. Remember, there are no side effects from using your own stem cells.”

In second case, Arnold says: “I received the treatment in May 2008. My symptoms included fatigue, depression, a cognitive cloud, foot drop and heat intolerance. The only thing I am taking now is Avonex as a maintenance drug. I am free of the fatigue and depression. I still have a cognitive cloud but it is nothing like it was before the treatment! I feel absolutely certain that I will continue my active lifestyle and my career.”

“I will not tell you I am cured, but I am virtually symptom free!! My quality of life improved exponentially after the treatment”, Arnold expressed.
The treatment and therapy took place in May 2008 in Latin America and since then the duo have generously donated their time to other Multiple Sclerosis patients who were in the same boat Arnold and James were in approximately 1 year ago.

“Stem cell treatment is at a nascent stage but we need to understand the life-saving potential of such procedures. MS has a prevalence that ranges between 2 and 150 per 100,000”, said Karan Goel, an entrepreneur and chairman and founder of Stem Cell Global Foundation, which is creating awareness about stem cell technology.

MS disease onset usually occurs in young adults, and it is more common in females. “Adult Stem Cells can help Multiple Sclerosis now with a treatment that is simple with no side effects”, Karan said. 

“"Stem Cells are showing more & more potential in the treatment of MS and the challenge we now face is proving their effectiveness for large numbers of people”, he informs.

Source: PRUrgent.com 14 May 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment